When it comes to moving tips, A-Plus Moving & Storage knows a thing or two. What’s the key to a smooth move?
Based on our years of moving and packing experience, we have compiled a series of moving tips and helpful hints – suggestions to assist you in organizing and planning your next move.
- Clear out unwanted goods – hold a garage sale.
- Get rid of flammables – paint, petrol, gas cylinders.
- Empty fuel from mowers, clippers, trimmers and so on.
- Clothes – do you need them all? Charity shops may want them.
- Separate books – disposable, family reading, valuable.
- Check all electrical goods – will they work in the new home?
- Start making up your change of address list
- Arrange to have mail forwarded.
- Arrange termination date for electricity, gas, oil, telephone and other main suppliers.
- If you are taking electrical goods such as a stereo, see if you still have their original boxes.
- Have rugs cleaned.
- If you have children, separate cherished toys to travel with you.
- Round up personal documentation – marriage/birth certificates, driving licenses and so on.
- Keep passports separate so they are not packed.
- Will your new home be ready? If not, you need to arrange temporary storage.
Before actually packing-up, you need to have a game plan.
- Pack one room at a time. This will help you when it comes time to unpack.
- Pack a couple of boxes a day, starting well ahead of the move.
- Mark all boxes, designating room and box number.
- Make a box identification log to show the number of boxes packed per room, and the total number of boxes packed. It’s a good idea to leave space in your log for a special comments section to note box conditions or location of high value goods.
- Notify our movers of any high value items.
- Be sure to have plenty of “filling” material available.
- Be sure that the bottoms of all boxes are secured and will hold the weight of the contents.
- Packing tape or gummed tape is better than masking tape.
- Pack heavier items toward the bottom of the box and lighter items toward the top. Try to keep a per-box weight of 50 pounds or less; it makes moving a lot easier. A general rule to remember on box size — the heavier the item, the smaller the box.
Contact A-Plus Moving & Storage for an accurate estimate REQUEST A FREE QUOTE